Tuesday, 11 October 2011

Relaxing Copacobana and lively La Paz

I spent 2 days in copa copacabana, sleepy lil lakeside town. The bus from puno to copacobana was only 3 hrs so pretty good. All except I was seated next to a chick with food poisoning, so she was throwing up most of the way... Let's just say it wasn't the nicest smelling bus trips I've taken...

Crossed the border from Peru into Bolivia around 1000. It was an interesting experience, the military officials seemed to like australians and immediately lightened up when finding out I was Australian.
After a few stamps I walked across the border and got my boliviano paper work authorised. Finally Bolivia here I am!

I arrived into copocabana late in the morning on Sunday 9/10. And settled into to my accomodation which looked out over lake titicaca, sweet!

I jumped on a tour to Sun island in the afternoon. The island was great, touted as having the fountain of youth. I didn't try the water, but many tourists did. The island was a previously a pilgrimage site for incans chasing good health and youth.

After returning from the island around 1800 I was feeling a lil sleepy so had a doze. When I awoke I saw an awesome sunset over lake titicaca with a storm front coming in with lightning and thunder. Beautiful to watch from my bed.

Monday I jumped on another bus bound for La Paz. Luckily this time without any spewing neiggbours.

Yesterday late in the afternoon I arrived into La Paz and was pleasantly greeted by my guide Edwin at the bus stop.

I had a bit of an explore round the main tourist drag and found nice lil cafe called sol and Luna and had an awesome French inspired chicken dish with a few glasses of red. I still cant get over the cheap prices here, last nights meal cost me $12 for a restaurant quality meal, bargain!

Today I visited the san Pedro prison which I have been reading about in "marching powder". I only visited the outside, wasn't brave enough to go inside and do a tour. I'm pretty sure the tours were canned a few years ago.

Anyways I also visited the witches markets and talked with the shop owners. Found some interesting stuff, dried llyama foetuses for sale to be used in offerings. Don't worry lyn I picked you one up for the coffee table... :)

This afternoon I've been hanging out in a funky lil Mexican bar / restaurant.

Tonight I'm off to uyuni on a 10hr night bus to start my solar de uyuni tour for the next 3 days visiting the salt flats.

I hope everyone back home is doing well. My next entry won't be for a few days time.

Huesto luego
Craig
Ps ohh I'm a bit behind uploading photos as none of my recent accommodation has had computers.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you got me a vile of that water from the fountain :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning fran

    Nope I didn't grab any of that funky water, I didn't think tys would forgive me if you caught something funky.....

    Craig

    ReplyDelete